It was great to have the energy and enthusiasm of our new and returning students in the building this week.
We would like to provide an update on several items. Please note that the changes reflected below will also be updated in our operational plan.
A reminder to Pre-Screen:
- Pre-Screening your Children – Every morning we ask that you check-in with your child to see how they are feeling. If your child is feeling unwell and is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, we ask that they stay home and suggest you call 811 or your healthcare provider for information. The checklist can be found at the link below.
- If students are going to be absent, please notify the main office by phone at (902) 368-6870 or use the absence notification email found under the contact us tab on our website. Please indicate the reason for the absence.
Student Drop off and Pick Up:
- We have an excellent team of bus drivers who have been working to transport our students safely and efficiently. We appreciate your patience and understanding as the routes are being adjusted and the drivers become more familiar with students and new COVID protocols
- A reminder that during drop off and pick up, please access Birchwood street using Lapthorne and Gerald streets. We want students to cross at the crosswalk near the gym. Please wait to pull up to the crosswalk and let students out of the vehicle, (sidewalk side) let the students cross and proceed. Please do not pass cars. We are working with the city on updated signage. Please see the map below
- A reminder to return student information forms. We depend on these forms for communication.
- If you are picking up a student or dropping off an item please call the school office in advance from your vehicle at (902) 368-6870.
- On Wednesday, September 16th, we will be having several speakers talk to our students and staff about diversity, racism, and healthy relationships.
- Birchwood Educational Assistant Kara Stewart
- Charlottetown Police Officer Tim Keizer
- Provincial Youth Worker and Assistant Coach of the Island Storm Lonnie States
- University Students Andrew Wong and Hannah Fong
- University of Prince Edward Island Basketball Head Coach Darrell Glenn
- Former UPEI Panther, Eleven year NHL Veteran, and NHL Diversity Alliance Member Joel Ward along with other members of the NHL Diversity Alliance.
Fall Sports and Changing for Gym Class:
- Starting next week, students will be able to change for gym class and afterschool sports.
- Birchwood is fortunate enough to have two large change room areas for students. We have separate entrances and exits to these change room areas. Students will exit and enter using different doors. All students entering and exiting the change rooms will sanitize their hands and wear a non-medical mask. Staff will manage the flow of students in and out of the change rooms.
- Change rooms have been marked with X’s to promote social distancing. Students will not have an opportunity to leave any items in the locker room area.
- Men’s Area Room 1323A (larger area). Eight students can change in this area. As one exits another can enter.
- Men’s Area Room 133B (Smaller). Six students can change in this area. As one exits another can enter.
- Women’s Area 143A (Larger area). Eight students can change in this area. As one exits another can enter.
- Women’s Area 144B (smaller). Six students can change in this area. As one exits another can enter.
Tryouts will begin for fall sports starting Monday, September 14th.
- Field Hockey will begin tryouts on Monday, September 14th from 3:00-4:15.
- Men’s Soccer will begin tryouts on Monday, September 14th from 3:00-4:15.
- Women’s soccer will begin tryouts Monday, September 14th from 3:15 – 4:30.
Student Movement Within Cohort Zones:
- Starting next week, students will be able to move to classrooms within the vicinity (cohort zone) of their homeroom. For example, students will be able to leave their Science classroom and travel to their Language Arts classroom two doors down. Students will travel on the right-hand side of the hallway in a single file wearing a non-medical mask. Students will wash or sanitize their hands frequently and will be required to sanitize their desk area when transitioning.
- We are seeking volunteers for our breakfast program. We will require more volunteers this year in order to offer the program in multiple locations. We hope to begin the program the week of September 21st. Please contact the school by calling (902) 368-6870 or by emailing Michelle MacDonald at email@example.com if you are available to volunteer.
Have a great weekend and we are looking forward to week two.