Did you know that the majority of books in the West Kent Library have been purchased thanks to fundraising? We want to keep the West Kent Library full of interesting and updated books. This fall we are happy to be part of the Indigo Adopt a School fundraiser.
If you would like to donate to this campaign, please click here.
Thursday, September 2, 2021
We are excited to welcome students back to school for the 2021/2022 school year! We are looking forward to seeing all our students and families back to West Kent. Staff will be contacting students in their classes to relay some important start up information. If you do not receive an email or a phone call and have any questions please give us a call at the school.
While this year will be closer to normal than last year, we will still have some enhanced guidelines in place to ensure our school stays safe and healthy.
The Public Schools Branch has created a resource on their website to provide an overview of the COVID-19 protocols for the start of the year. You can find it at https://edu.princeedwardisland.ca/psb/parents_students/covid-19-resources/.
There are a few areas I would like to highlight. The first is regarding screening for symptoms. It is essential that students and parents screen for symptoms on a daily basis. You can use this screening tool every morning to decide if your child should attend school: https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/sites/default/files/publications/student_prescreening_checklist_eng_0.pdf.
The second area I would like to highlight is masking. The following masking requirements will be in place for the start of the school year:
- Masks are required for staff, students and visitors, regardless of vaccination status, when in common areas and when transitioning through the school building. Masks may be removed when seated in classrooms or meeting areas;
- Masks are required for staff when working with Grades K-6 when physical distancing is not possible, regardless of vaccination status;
- Masks are required for staff who work with students in grades K-12 who are at higher risk of severe illness and outcomes from COVID-19 when physical distancing is not possible, regardless of vaccine status;
- Masks are recommended inside all locations of the school for staff, students and visitors who are eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine and who are not fully vaccinated; and
- Masks will be required for staff and students in all grades on school buses. (Bus drivers may remove masks when seated, facing forward or driving the bus.)
Please talk with your child before school to help them understand what is expected for masking when at school. If your child is unable to wear a mask, please contact us to discuss.
Finally, if there is ever a confirmed case of COVID-19 connected with our school, public health will work with us to do contact tracing and inform anyone who may have been exposed. It is important that we have your current contact information. Please check that your phone number(s) are up-to-date in the system. You can do this using the information sheets that are sent home with your child during the first week of school. This information will also help us contact you should there be a need during the school day.
Tracy Ellsworth, Principal, West Kent Elementary School
On a one hour delay supervision does not start until 9:10. Please check the Storm and Early Closure information on the above sites, before sending your child to school for their safety.
Get informed of storm days and early closures by following:
1. PEI Storm Watch email alert systems:
3. Public Schools Branch webpage.
NOTE: you may have to cut and paste some of these links for them to work
Communication for families aug 19 2020_1 (1)
Please register your child for the Healthy School Food Program. I encourage all families to register even if you are not sure if or how much you may be ordering food for your child during the school year. This program is using their own pay system therefore registering is required. The letter contains more information including a contact e-mail and phone number if you have specific questions.
Ms. T. Ellsworth
Principal, West Kent
School Supply Fee of $40.00 is due by Friday, June 12. You have 3 options for payment: via HotLunches ( closes at 11 PM on June 12), cash or cheque. Staff are at the school Tuesdays and Wednesdays. We have only received about 35% paid so far. We urge parents to make payment soon. Teacher take advantage of sale prices over the summer to stretch the money as best they can as its difficult to purchase all they need, even with the special prices. If you would like to pay a little at a time please contact Lena in the office and she will discuss options with you. Thank you for your support of these timelines and if we can help in any way please let us know.