The Public Schools Branch (PSB) encompasses all 56 English public schools across Prince Edward Island and serves approximately 19,000 students from kindergarten to grade 12. The PSB is governed by an appointed Board of Directors whose mandate is to:
- provide strategic direction;
- set policy;
- approve the PSB’s budget; and
- be accountable to students, parents, the community and the Minister of Education for the performance of the PSB.
The Director is the chief operating officer of the Public Schools Branch and is accountable to the Board of Directors. The role of the Director is to:
- oversee the operations and management of the school system in the areas of finance, transportation, property services, human resources, student support services, and policy;
- provide advice to and collaborate with the Department of Education on common initiatives and goals; and
- engage with the education community.
The Director and the administrative branch-based staff, with primary offices in Stratford and Summerside, work closely with school administrators, teachers, school staff, parents and students to ensure school learning environments:
- support the unique needs, strengths, interests, and learning styles of our students;
- foster personal development, respect, and social responsibility; and
- inspire a passion for life-long learning that prepares students for the opportunities and challenges ahead.