Home and School News, January 2021
- Elected school board model consultations
“We want to give Islanders a stronger voice in their education system and how we support student learning while ensuring our school boards are more representative of our Island population under the leadership of elected trustees,” Minister Trivers. (Dec. 21/20) Submit your ideas online at: Elected School Board Model Consultations. Islanders will have the added option to complete an online survey. Online consultations are open until March 11, 2021.
- Don’t forget to nominate school staff
Nominate a teacher, EA, principal, Administrative Assistant, custodian) for the PEI Home and School Federation’s Extra Mile Award. Submission deadline is Jan. 22. Nomination form is online at: https://peihsf.ca/extramile. Presentations will be arranged during School Staff
Appreciation Week, Feb. 14-21, respecting pandemic protocols. The week provides anopportunity for parents / students to recognize the dedication and hard work of teachers, admin support, EA, and custodians. Say thank you! Keep plans simple!
Resolutions are developed around issues that will affect positive change in our school system for all students’ benefit. Parents and teachers are asking to discuss school system and gaps around the local Home and School meeting table for the purpose of teaming up to write resolutions. What are the issues impacting student learning, student wellness and safety? Check our website to view resolutions. Ask the Federation for help with writing resolutions. Use a NEW Fillable Resolution Form. Deadline to submit resolutions is Jan. 31.
- NEW School Food Menu: Students asked to give school food another try
Here is what you need to know about the new menus:
- Thirteen NEW menu items have been added based on parent/student feedback.
- Options include: one meat/one vegetarian (daily) and “gluten friendly” being offered for each menu item
- Portion sizes have increased slightly and are more consistent
- Meal orders will continue to be ordered in the two week rotation at: peischoolfood.ca
- Ordering begins Dec. 28 and closes at 9 a.m. on Jan. 1. No late orders accepted.
- Photos of menu items were shared on social media channels over the holidays
- Updated ingredient and allergen information will be uploaded to the website
- Parent Leadership Grants
Parent Leadership Grants. New submission deadline: Feb. 28, 2021
- What’s on your agenda?
Add …..items from this monthly update
….current educational news
….Education Minister, Brad Trivers’ announcements
….Public Schools Branch information
….Federation’s resolution deadline
….Awards Programs nomination dates
….Appoint a communication’s person to be sure current topics are on your agenda
How can we help? Contact the Federation office: 902-620-3186 / 1-800-916-0664 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library of Canada is a free book gifting program devoted to inspiring a love of reading in the hearts of children everywhere. Each month, enrolled children receive a high quality, age-appropriate book in the mail, free of charge. Children receive books from birth up to their fifth birthday. Find out how to sign up your child in PEI. Call (902) 368-3620 / 1-866-827-3620.
- PEI’s public library offers a monthly e-Newsletter will contain the latest news and information on programs and services at PEI’s public libraries. Subscribe: https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/…/library-newsletter…
- Hackmatack Children’s Choice Book Award is a literary program in Atlantic Canada designed to bring together readers 9-12 years old with great Canadian books and authors. Click here to see all the amazing books on the non-fiction shortlist. They will be profiling each book on social media over the next couple of months. Register your child or reading group today.
- YMCA Summer Work Student Exchange is an amazing Opportunity for High School Students: This national exchange program offers opportunities for youth (age 16-17) to gain valuable work experience, explore another part of Canada, and improve their second official language skills, all for the cost of $125. Contact John’s, NL & Charlottetown, PEI Coordinator: email@example.com / 709-351-2356 / www.summer-work.com
- COVID-19 Study: Would you like to be part of a study to investigate the impact of COVID-19 on school experiences for caregivers and children from K – Grade 4? Contact Tara Cooper, Research assistant to Dr. Marla Morden, Vancouver Island University in Nanaimo, BC. For more information visit https://wordpress.viu.ca/mordenlab/