Public Schools Branch
tel: (902) 368-6990 Stratford; (902) 888-8400 Summerside;
(800) 280-7965 Toll Free; www.gov.pe.ca/edu/psb
NOTICE TO PARENTS
All Public Schools Branch (PSB) weather related cancellations will be announced on local radio stations and posted on our website by 7:00 A.M. An announcement that “all classes in the Public Schools Branch are cancelled” means that there is no school for students. An announcement of a “system wide shutdown” indicates that all schools and offices are closed. In some instances it may only be necessary to close an individual school or a “family of schools”. Partial system closures or delays will be announced by family of schools. (See Below)
ONE HOUR DELAY
If a decision on cancellation cannot be made by 7:00 A.M., a one hour delay will be announced whereby all schools and buses will operate one hour later than usual. A further announcement will be broadcast by 8:00 A.M.
In some instances, even in fine weather, buses may be delayed. Parents will be notified via radio broadcast that a bus will be delayed (i.e. Bus #297 is running 30 minutes late).
SCHOOL CLOSURES DURING THE DAY
It may be necessary to close school part way through a school day. Detailed announcements will be made on local radio stations and posted to our PSB website as early as possible.
Parents who will not be at home when children arrive are responsible for making alternate arrangements for the care of their children on such days. If you have not done so already, please notify the school of these arrangements as soon as possible.
EXTREME WEATHER DURING THE SCHOOL DAY
Should the Department of Transportation and/or the RCMP recommend that school buses remain off Island roads, students may be required to remain at school beyond their normal dismissal time (unless picked up by a parent or designate). Announcements will be made on local radio stations and posted to our website.
On days when classes are in session, and the low temperature combined with wind provides a wind chill of -20 or below, students will not be required to go outside at recess or lunch, or remain outside upon morning arrival.
SUGGESTIONS FOR PARENTS
1. The final decision to attend school or to travel to school via school bus always rests with the parent.
2. Please do not drop children off at school unless you are certain that school is operating that day and that staff are present to supervise the children.
3. Please listen to the radio and check the PSB website frequently between 6:30 and 8:00 A.M. daily to determine if schools are operating. Every effort will be made to have announcements broadcast by 7:00 A.M.
4. Please do not call the school, PSB office, or radio stations for information on cancellations or delays. Such calls tie up telephone lines which may be needed for emergency use.
We would like to send out a very special “thank you” to the P.E.I Street Rod Association for their generous donation to our school for our Healthy Snack Program.
Halloween is on Wednesday, October 31st. We will be having our Halloween parade around the gym after second recess. Students can bring in their costume for this event OR they can wear orange and black.
Parents are asked to please limit the number of treats sent to school AFTER the night of trick or treating to 1 or 2 per day. Studies have shown that sugar does tend to make children hyper and as a result they find it very difficult to concentrate in class. We would appreciate your cooperation with this.
SCHOOL PHOTOS: Friday, October 26th.
We are happy to be back for another full filled school year. We have some great new staff join us this year and we are looking forward to a great year of learning!
Be sure to regularly pop by our website as it is updated on a regular basis.
On Friday, May 18th we had a jersey day in support of Brodie MacCarthy. All Donations received will be going towards a scholarship fund that has been set up. Cardigan School raised $235.
December is a very busy month for us here at Cardigan School. The students and staff have a lot of activities going on. Here is a list of dates to remember:
- Tuesday, December 12, 2017: The “best seat in the house” money and any unsold tickets are due back to the school.
- Thursday, December 14, 2017: Cardigan School Annual Christmas Concert. 6:30PM. A donation box will be at the door and there will be fudge available for sale after the concert. ** Reminder parents are asked to please donate fudge for sale. We ask that each bag have 4 pieces and to be dropped of at the Christmas Concert. All money received will be going to the music department.
- Parents are asked to have students at the school by 6:10PM and they are to go directly to their homerooms to prepare for the concert.
- Friday, December 15, 2017: Each class is decorating gingerbread cookies. Cookies and supplies will be supplied by the school.
- Tuesday, December 19, 2017: We are going on a field trip to the Murphy’s Centre to go bowling in the morning and the afternoon we are going to Perrin’s Marina Villa to sing carols.
- Wednesday, December 20, 2017: We will be having a turkey dinner for staff and students. We would appreciate any cash donations to help go towards buying the supplies to feed 120 staff and students. Thank you in advance for your support
- Friday, December 22, 2017: Last day of School for 2017!!